Wednesday, June 19, 2013

HOLLYWOOD U2 HAS SO MUCH TO BE DESIRE-D AT THE ROXY!

Hollywood U2 Show at The Roxy June 2013

Earlier this month, I saw the fantastic U2 tribute band HOLLYWOOD U2.  As you may or may not know, The Police, U2 and The Who are my top favorite bands.  So, I have a critical eye when it comes to these men.  Well, I was gobsmacked by how close to U2 they really are!  They played longer than any other tribute night... a full hour and 20 minutes.  If they kept on going, I wouldn't have minded!

Joe Heir is lead singer/guitarist (Hollywood) Bono.  He's got the moves down, the vocals, hair and clothes.  Even Bono's charm.  For example, he pulled up a young woman from the audience to dance with her.  Classic Bono!  (Side note: Joe reminds me of John Corbett who reminds me of Bono.  All are handsome.)

CJ. Macchia is lead guitarist/keys (Hollywood) Edge.  When he first struck his guitar, I had to pick my jaw up off the floor!  CJ is crazy good!  Seeing him up close took me back to when I saw U2 for the first
time.  Too bad U2 perform in such large venues.  But lucky for us locals, Hollywood U2 are based out of well, Hollywood/LA.  Now now, don't fret... Hollywood U2 perform all over the world.  What a life they have! Check out their resume at www.hollywoodU2.com and on Facebook.

Steve Judd as (Hollywood) Larry and Mikhail Davies (Hollywood ) Adam round out the rhythm section and do resemble the men.  Just like the originals, Larry and Adam play their instruments very well.  However,
I couldn't quite figure out Adam's shirt.  Guess real Adam did that back in the day?  I do remember, it was Larry Mullen Jr. who was looking to start a band that finally transformed into U2. 

Seeing this tribute band live is a drug that I've missed out on!  The band have been together for 10 years!!  Where have I been?  My friend Deborah saw them a few years back and raved about their performance.  Guess I was nervous to see how they would compare to U2.  Well, nerves be gone.  I am hooked! 

Hollywood U2 can be, dare I say... Even better than the real thing!  They are up for any challenging song.  Bullet The Blue Sky was just electric!!  The audience went nuts!!!  A nice surprise was to hear B-side single, The Sweetest Thing. Great news is Hollywood U2 are LA based so seeing them more is possible.  (Last time I saw U2 was 2 years ago which feels like ages.)

Thank you AXS TV for putting on this tribute band festival.  Now, on to Season 2 where I plan to catch more tribute bands including The Police.  Word on the street is they have Stewart Copeland's blessing.
This outta to be good...

Setlist:
Even Better Than The Real Thing
Desire
Until The End Of The World
Bullet The Blue Sky
New Year's Day
One
Sunday Bloody Sunday
Vertigo
Beautiful Day
The Sweetest Thing
With Or Without You
Pride
Elevation
All I Want Is You
Where The Streets Have No Name

No comments:

Post a Comment